What are invisible braces?
Invisible bracesÂ use aÂ method of straightening teeth graduallyÂ with a series of clear plastic trays instead of conventional metal braces.
The distinctive feature of this treatment is that the plastic trays are virtually invisible, making them less noticeable to others.
How does it work?
The treatment starts with:
- Your dentist taking impressions, x-rays and pictures of your teeth.A model of your teeth is cast and then scanned by a specialised scanner.
- Computer software is used to design custom made trays for you to wear for each step of the treatment.
- Each tray is designed to gradually move the teeth and therefore has to be worn in a specific order to achieve the desired effect.Â
- Trays are usually worn for two weeks before being replaced by the next ones in the series.
- Trays are worn at all times including night time. The only time they are taken out is when eating or cleaning the teeth.
- Treatment time may vary depending on the complexity of the individual case and can take between six and eighteen months.
- This method is not suitable for every case. Ask your dentist/orthodontist whether you are a candidate.
Why Invisible braces?
Compared to conventional metal braces:
- Cosmetically more appealing.
- Easier to clean the teeth during the treatment period.Â
- More comfortable to wear.
- The treatment is dependent on the patient's consistency of wearing the trays.Â
- The trays have to be removed when eating.Â
- The treatment is not suitable if the patient suffers from bruxism.
Companies providing invisible braces: